Benefits of Studying English
- Develops an increased vocabulary
- Introduces students to poetry, novels and plays
- Increases knowledge of current affairs
- Improves ability in essay writing
- Teaches the formation of essays, book reviews, creative writing pieces and structured answers to questions on poetry, novels and plays
- Develops the ability to compare and contrast pieces of writing
- Develops the ability to analyse texts and unseen poetry and structure proper answers.
- Improves knowledge of how to answer on comprehensions and complex questions.
- Develops the ability to compose an essay in one of the following styles: formation, argument, persuasion, narration and the aesthetic use of language.
- Provides good ground work for every career.
Aims of English Department:
- To reinforce and consolidate the work done in primary schools
- To develop skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- To foster a love of literature in all students
- Develop reading and writing skills using Zoom 1
- Novel study in the third term
- Continual assessment with common assessments in December, March and May.
- Consolidating skills from first year using Zoom 2 or 3.
- Novel study in preparation for Junior Cert.
- Introduction to drama – study play for Junior Cert.
- Concentration on elements examined in Junior cert
- Paper 1 – language elements
- Paper 2- Literature
- Study of a play
- Two/Three comparative (Novel, Modern Play/Film)
- Two/Three Poets
- Paper one preparation.
Fifth Year English
- Poetry: Three poets and prepare exam questions on poetry.
- Revision of themes/characters of play studied in fourth year.
- Work on modes of comparative studies.
- Exam papers preparation
Click here for detailed syllabus information